What's new?

Wednesday, March 27, 2013
9:08 am

So . . . what's new? Let's see . . . on the weight loss side of things, I'm down somewhere around 14 +/- pounds. I used the "+/-" because I've been fluctuating over the past couple of weeks with this blasted cold. Some days I have no appetite and eat very little, and other days I crave weird stuff. Plus (and this is where I dive into the WTMI [Way-Too-Much-Information] pool) for some reason, the past couple weeks have really messed with my ability to eliminate. Yeah. I went there. I've been having trouble pooping. And that is SO not me. I never have poop issues. I'm a very regular, comfortable pooper. But not lately. So, I'm throwing back the maximum dosage of stool softeners (3) every day for the past 3 days in hopes of priming the pump, so to speak. I'm sure it will all (wait for it) work itself out soon.

As I mentioned the other day, I am on vacation, which means no alarm clocks this week. It's been so nice, especially with the interrupted sleep I've been experiencing over the past couple of weeks. I'll be floating in peaceful slumber when I'm suddenly and harshly awakened by the fit of coughing that erupts without warning. At least the frequency and duration of these coughing fits have decreased significantly. My sweet husband asked me this morning if I thought I should call the doctor, and I told him that I'm not running a fever, and there seems to be no infection. The coughing is beginning to wane and I am feeling a little better each day. So, there's really no reason to go to the doctor and hand him $30. He'll tell me to keep doing what I'm doing, that's it's viral, that everyone has it and it's been a bad one this time around. I really am making progress, just not as quickly as I'd like. I'll be most grateful to get back to feeling normal again.

I'm getting excited about our great big family adventure, which begins tomorrow evening with the arrival of the first wave of brothers (younger brother and his wife, and youngest brother). The other (older) brother and his family arrive Friday evening.

I love my brothers, but I have to say, I adore my sisters-in-law.  They're really special women.
Tammi & Mark
Tammi, my brother Mark's wife, is a treasure. She is the most generous person I have ever known. She is practical and genuine, honest and loving. She works harder than almost anyone else I know, and makes a blank canvas beautiful, whether it's a head of hair, a pair of hands, or a garden. She's talented and terrific and funny, and I love spending time with her. It's a shame we live at opposite corners of the country.

Karen is my brother Don's wife. She has more energy than the Energizer Bunny. She is a loyal friend, accepting of everyone. Karen has become more than my sister-in-law; she's become one of my closest friends. Whenever I fly up north for a visit, I never have to wonder where I'll stay.
Karen & Don
Karen's ready to welcome me into her home and find fun things for us to do. She's kind and generous and rarely says "no" to anyone who asks. Whether it's me asking to stay with them, or someone asking her to make 100 cupcakes or a specialty cookie tray or a bridal shower cake, she says "yes" enthusiastically and with a smile. She's often awake, working in her kitchen hours after everyone else in her household is asleep. I didn't grow up with sisters, but God has given me the best sisters in the world to know and love throughout the second half of my life.

What else is new? When I go back to work after break, the fourth and final quarter of the school year will begin. I'm a wee bit concerned how we'll get everything done that needs to be done, but like every other academic calendar, we'll be finished before we know it. Our youngest, my son David, will be home from Honduras in mid June, to launch into his next adventure, whatever that may be. I'm ready to have my boy home, or at least closer to home. Daughter Sarah will complete her bachelors degree in May. She has worked her butt off to get this accomplished. In the past year and a half, she's taken classes while working a full-time job, taking care of a home, and her husband and their baby boy. She is more than ready to have classes behind her. And I'm planning ahead for a possible trip up north this summer. When I get out of school in June, I want to get out of Florida as well. We'll see how that goes. No definite plans yet.

My dear husband, Dave, is nearly finished with the first draft of his second novel. The working title is Gold Mettle. As soon as draft number one is complete, he will pass it around to his initial readers for editorial suggestions. It should be ready for release almost exactly a year after his first novel, Stonebridge Secret, in May. This one will take place in Stonebridge, as did the first, but that's where the similarities end. It's a completely different story, with all new characters. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it in snippets, and look forward to reading it as a whole soon. I can tell you right now, you will really love this book. More on that soon . . . And I guess that's all for now.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment