Putting on my big girl panties

Monday, March 25, 2013
11:17 am

I'm on vacation. I'm still in my jammies, though I am not completely uncivilized. I did put on my bra. I'm sipping tea with honey and a tiny bit of cinnamon. I tell myself that this soothing beverage is actually good for me and after more than a week fighting this blasted cold, I need all the good-for-me remedies I can get my hands on.

At the end of this week my brothers and their wives and a couple of my nieces will fly in for a week's vacation in sunny Florida. They're coming down and sharing a large, lovely rental house near to my parents' house and ours. We will spend as much time together during their week-long stay as we can. Naturally when adult siblings and their parents spend time together, the right ingredients are present to create the perfect storm. And in an attempt to avoid unnecessary drama, I'm slipping into my big girl panties early.

First potential pickle in which we find ourselves is Easter Sunday. My mother and father-in-law are driving up on Saturday (30th) and spending the night at our house in order to see their great-grandsons on Easter morning when they gather at our place for an Easter egg hunt. I will have dinner for everyone at 1:00, our usual time for holiday dinners, since several of our kids will also need to juggle time with their spouses' families into the mix. My parents have decided they want to take my brothers (et al) to mass at 8:30 Sunday morning, followed by breakfast at their favorite diner (where they go every Sunday after mass). They won't get to the restaurant until between 9:45 and 10:00. This will prevent my nieces from participating in the egg hunt at 10 at my house and, as my mother reminded me, they will have just eaten at 10, so they probably won't be ready for dinner at 1:00.

So here's the deal. It's important to me that my in-laws get to see their great-grandsons at least this once before returning to their home up north in less than two weeks. I am also aware that my married children's time is at a premium since we share them with their own in-laws. It's important to my parents to take my brothers (et al) to breakfast after mass. So, I figure, our boys can hunt for their eggs at 10, then whoever wants to may come over after their breakfast out, and my nieces can hunt for their eggs. They can then go back to their rental house and hang out together while I feed my family at my home at our usual time so as to accommodate our clan. Later in the afternoon, if we desire, we can drive over to the rental house and hang out with my brothers (et al) and either share their later-day meal, or hang with them while they do. The fact is, we have an entire week to spend together. Why get our panties in a wad over one day. Especially the one day that is meant to remind us of our source of peace and life. I'm not going to worry about it. This is not a huge deal. We can still enjoy each other and share wonderful times while we create more memories together. There. My big girl panties are on and fit very nicely, thank you. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment