The Perfect Day

Saturday, March 16, 2013
3:42 pm

Today is spectacular. The sun is shining. The sky is a brilliant blue. The breezes are blowing. The humidity is low. The temperature is in the 70s. And I don't have to go anywhere. I have bread dough rising, and chicken soup simmering, replete with onions, garlic, celery, carrots, cabbage, and white wine. About 30 minutes before dinner, I'll add the egg noodles. I can honestly say I love my homemade soup. It's flavor is rich and satisfying, and just the thing for Dave and I today. We've been fighting colds this week and a hearty dose of Momma's Jewish penicillin is just what the doctor would order, if I bothered to call him.

I modified the bread recipe I've made a couple times now, by adding an egg. God bless my husband; no sooner do I try a new recipe and he loves it, then I change it up a little. How often have I heard, "Why can't you make it the same way you always have?" I don't think he'll notice this change. It's a lovely, easy bread to make and will be perfect with our soup.

I tried to take a nap earlier, but sleep eluded me. It didn't help that this tickle and subsequent cough pops up every few minutes. My mid-section is sore from all the coughing. But, why whine on such a beautiful day. Perhaps I will get to close my eyes in a little while for a bit. After last night's failed attempt to get some good sleep, you can bet I'll be drugging it up tonight. Bring on the Mucinex and NyQuil with a hot toddy chaser, and maybe a Tylenol PM for good measure. I. Need. Sleep!

I may go outside and sit in the sun and enjoy the breeze this afternoon. No matter how cool the air, you can always feel the sun down here attempt to bake into your skin. On days like today, it's comforting. In the summer, it's painful.

4:50 pm

My hubby enticed me to sit out back in the sunshine for about half an hour. It was every bit as delightful as I thought it would be. When the breezes blew, it was perfection, except for the ancient Italian ladies from Long Island who live in the neighborhood. They decided to meet up in our neighbor Fanny's backyard and enjoy the fresh air too. My gawd....were they loud and they chattered nonstop. But, God bless them...they have people to talk to and they're not lonely.

Every now and then when the breeze died down, I realized how hot the sun was and  knew I needed to get my pasty white skin out of it. But I think I absorbed enough Vitamin D for today. And when I came back in, the bread was ready to brush with egg white and sprinkle with course kosher salt, and put in the oven. In about 15 minutes, the house will smell amazing!

I guess that's enough rambling for now. I wish I were up in my hometown today. I'd head out to McGinnity's Restaurant (https://www.facebook.com/pages/McGinnitys-Restaurant-Party-House/108171445891354) to hang with old friends and enjoy some corned beef and cabbage, and maybe embarrass myself on the dance floor with all the other old farts who are there celebrating the Irish high holy day, St. Patrick's Day! If you stop by, tell my dear friend, Maggie . . . that's Maggie and me in the photo on the right, taken last summer . . . I sent you!

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment