Happy New Year!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013
9:36 am

You'd hardly know it by the time on this post, but I was up about 6:00 this morning. Not to worry. We went to bed about 10:00 last night, last year. I read my chapter this morning (my church has an expression the congregation says often: Everyone at Faith Life Church reads their chapter every day). This morning it was Philippians 3, which was apropos considering we're stepping into a new year.

...But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13-14)

I've lived too much of my life looking back, regretting missed opportunities or questioning decisions and choices I've made, wondering how life might have been different. The fact is and always will be, I cannot change any of my yesterdays. I cannot go back and relive the best of times, nor can I return to undo what was done. Life moves ever forward, and so must I. 

I sit here today, typing on this machine, and I have today before me. I can choose for today. And I choose to live in a way that is good for my body, my spirit, and my soul (my mind, will, and emotions). I choose to make a plan and set some goals for the days before me, with the full knowledge that I have no guarantee of them. I will spend time with my husband and my parents today and love them as best I can. I will listen to the inward voice of God and prepare for whatever He has in  store for me, even before I know what it is. And I will be thankful for today. I am thankful for today. The sky is blue, my windows are open, and I live in a lovely, comfortable home. My children are blessed and that is always cause for gratitude.

These are the months during which I love living in Florida. I do miss all the seasons, including winter, but there's no more pleasant time here than the winter months when the humidity is low and the air is comfortable and the breezes are blowing. 
  
 

Changing subjects: I have not used the coffee creamer since Sunday morning. I'm not missing it so far. I am drinking less coffee, which is probably good. I'm using only milk in it. It's fine that way. I'm drinking more tea. Mostly herbal peppermint tea with a tablespoon of agave nectar. It tastes delicious and is a far better choice. My daughter, Sarah, also told me about a website she's using. It's www.loseit.com. You submit your current height and weight and your goal weight, along with how much you want to lose per week. It then calculates how many calories per day you should consume to accomplish your goal, and it gives you a date by which you can expect to reach your goal if you consistently stay within your calorie limit. If nothing else, it will be a good tool for me to use at the beginning, to track my progress and it gives me an added layer of accountability, and it's free. Both good things.

I have not weighted myself yet. Not because I'm afraid to or because I don't want to face the scale. I just haven't. I don't want to be tied to the scale per se. I want it to be a reference point for me to see that I'm moving toward my goal. I will most likely weigh myself in the next day or two to give me a starting point to track progress.

That's all for now. To those of you who visit me here, I wish you extraordinary opportunities and experiences this year. May the path God has prepared for you become brighter and brighter each and every day.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment